Friday, July 12

Erasable Labeling Tags & Key Holder

Let me just start off by saying how close I was to just throwing away our wall unit during the move.
 IKEA is to blame.
There are a hundred pieces, I had no instructions, and I was home alone to put it together.
But, the house was finally coming together and I NEEDED a place for all of my craft items. 

Tyson was out golfing for the day so I lugged all of the wood slats from the garage to the top floor
and starting putting together the IKEA puzzle. 

It took me some time but I finally did it.
I was seriously so proud of myself!
haha you would be too if you just put this giant 6'x6' hunk of wood and bolts together. 

Any who, my mom and I purchased some cute baskets to fill in the spaces.
I had the original boxes that came with them,
but they were pretty hammered so it was time to upgrade. 

I knew right away that I was going to need to add some sort of label to the baskets
 so I knew what was in them without having to search through each one. 

I've always loved the look of the little travel tags,
so I drove 30 seconds to Hobby Lobby and picked up some quick supplies: 

//Supplies//
Patterned paper
Ruler
Reinforcing labels
Hole punch
Yarn/String/Ribbon
Scissors/Cutting board
Glue Dots/Tape/Glue
Laminate paper


I made my tags 3.5"tall by 2"wide.
Once I had the first tag all cut out and even, I used it to trace the other 6 tags I needed.


Once I had them all cut out, I placed a reinforcing label on each one; this will keep your holes from tearing.

I then punched a hole right through the middle. 

I then used the back of my left over paper to make mini-whiteboards for the tags.
I wanted to be able to write whatever I needed on the tags without having to make more. 

Once I cut out the white strips, I placed them faced down on laminate paper, and cut them out leaving a tiny bit around the edges so it wouldn't peel easily. 

I love my Glue Dots.
They are seriously awesome and I hate using regular glue now.
I recommend investing in the glue dots when you can; mine have lasted me almost a year now. 

Once the tags were complete, I looped some yarn through the hole and voila!

Easy organizing with erasable labeling tags. 



//------------->

I wish I had taken more pictures for my Key Holder Letter tutorial, but I suppose most of it is pretty self-explanatory. 
I had mod-podged this 'B' a few years ago when we got married, but decided to use it by the garage door for our car keys. 

I found some cute key paper, mint green paint, and hooks from Michael's. 

//Supplies//
Wood letter
Paper
Mod Podge
Sponge Brush (2)
Paint

I was SO impatient with this project (surprise).
We had just moved in and I needed a place to keep our keys.

I didn't really let anything dry, I just kept going.
I was seriously done in about 30 minutes or less; and it turned out pretty cute! 

After tracing out the 'B' on my paper face down and cutting it out, I brushed on the mod podge.

Then, laid down the paper on top and mod podged it flat.
I let that dry for about 5 minutes before I started painting my edges.
{I wasn't too worried about getting paint on the back since no one would see it.} 

Once that "dried", I then screwed in two little hooks on the bottom for the keys.
Ta-da!

That was seriously it. 

I have it hanging RIGHT by the garage door and Tyson loves it.
Now we always know where the keys are instead of putting them down on a counter somewhere.

<------------->

I also have these 9 mini canvas squares that I haven't figured out what to do with yet lol.

I painted them the colors of my blog and wanted to incorporate my blog somehow into my craft room - I haven't hit that inspirational spark yet with these. 
If you have any suggestions, feel free to throw them my way! :) 

Feel free to email or message me with any questions on the two crafts above!  
 photo SiggyR3_zps16c0ecea.png

No comments:

Post a Comment